December 17, 2013

Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2013 (42)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
There are so many authors who belong on this list. And a lot of them are authors I'm sure a lot of you read in 2012 for the first time. The story there is that I used to read a lot in high school and kind of stopped in college. None of my friends were big readers and I wanted to hang out, not be the girl on the side alone. So it was only when I started blogging a little over a year ago that I started picking up all the big authors/new, interesting titles. I think I've made a pretty decent dent in the books everyone's lost it over and my bookshelf is carrying the weight of many author names that I'm sure will end up my list next year. But until then here's my (bizarrely all female) list of crazy obvious names that make up my Top Ten (+5) New-To-Me Authors I Read in 2013.

1. VERONICA ROSSI
I liked Under the Never Sky and I freaking love Through the Ever Night so much I can't even stand it. Into the Still Blue might kill me. So, yeah. Plan my funeral and start claiming my books. 

2. SUSAN DENNARD
If Into the Still Blue doesn't kill me, Strange and Ever After will. So keep planning that funeral and continue claiming my books. 

3. LEIGH BARDUGO
Chronologically speaking, this should be number 2 on this list because the last book in the series comes out before Susan Dennard's last book and uuuuugggghhhh WHAT IS WITH ALL OF THESE AMAZING TRILOGIES THAT I LOVE WRITTEN BY AUTHORS WHO I THINK ARE THE COOLEST?

4. TAHEREH MAFI
Why are all my series written by my new favorite authors ending? Whywhywhy? *cries in corner*

5. A.C. GAUGHEN
I have to wait over ONE WHOLE YEAR before the last book in this series comes out. I'll probably be dead what with all the series finales of the authors list above. But, like, A.C. Gaughen's so brilliant/ruthless when putting her characters through the worst that I'd probably just go crazy from it all. So it's okay.

6. MARISSA MEYER
I was 8 kinds of hesitant with the whole Cinder-cyborg things, but guys, I've been converted. Marissa Meter is now one of my absolute favorites for so many reasons I don't even have time to get into it right now.

7. KRISTIN CASHORE
Now here's a woman who finished her trilogy before I got to it, thereby sparing my soul. To be honest, I haven't read Bitterblue yet, but it's okay since the books are companions more than anything. Also, I feel like I'm putting it off because then it's done. We'll see what happens.

8. TRISH DOLLER
I loves this woman both as a writer and a twitter person. Also, Something Like Normal ate my heart I am afraid of writing a review for that precious, short little heart eater of a book, thanks Trish Doller.

9. RAINBOW ROWELL
One word/book: Fangirl. Thanks for novelizing my life. (Minus the cute boy who gets everything. But I do wish I had one of those, so, whatever.)

10. MELINA MARCHETTA
You know all of those people who're like, Jellicoe Road starts slow but keep going, you'll love it? I have joined their ranks. I know I've only read one of her books, but she's still a favorite so get on that if you haven't already. 

11. STEPHANIE PERKINS
Another author where I've only read one of the books. But I loved it so much and it was so swoony so I'm gonna tack this author to my heart and leave it there. 

12. HUNTLEY FITZPATRICK
Moaaaaar swoons. *Tacks Huntley Fitzpatrick to heart next to Stephanie Perkins*

13. DIANA PETERFREUND
Gosh I love the retellings with the sci-fi and the swoons and the post-apocalyptic and who even knows what else. Not to mention I like how fancy Diana Peterfreund is (she wore this hat at BEA I don't even want to talk about it, I love it too much). I can't wait to read about the killer unicorns.

14. CORRINE JACKSON
Here is another new favorite author. Just read If I Lie and then you'll understand, okay?

15. JENNIFER E. SMITH
So this is an author who's super sweet in person, but she also writes these fantastic, swoony books and the next one comes out in April and it's about a blackout in New York City with more swoons and *sigh* *floats off on a very happy cloud* I'm a fan, to say the least. 

That's it for my cheating tonight. Have you guys read at least one book from all of these authors? I obviously think you should, so get to work on that. Also, if you have any authors you think I should read ASAP so they can be new-to-me next year, let me know in the comments below!