October 4, 2013

Why I'm A Bookish Mess

Fact: I don't like coffee. I just like saying Coffee Clutch in my best and deepest New York accent. Considering I'm a New Yorker, I'm pretty freaking good at it. So I've got my tea and I hope you have your heated beverage of choice, because it's time to gab the day away.

Now, obviously there are books that are so hyped that you might be a little afraid to read them. Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, all of the John Green books... the list goes on. But these are books that are recommended to you, or think you're supposed to like because everyone else loves them.


But what about the books that you know you're going to love once you sit down and read them? If you're a normal person, you'll just sit down the second you can get your hands on whatever has you all excited, read the damn book and love it to pieces. 

Then you and the book can be best friends forever.
But if you're like me, you'll love the idea of the book so much that you'll be afraid to read it. Usually this happens with a book that's written by an author whose other books I love so much - or this new book is the sequel to something else I adored. Generally what happens is I'll over hype the book for myself like crazy. No one has to say anything. I just do it to myself. 

Merida and I both know I'm out of my mind.
Examples of when this has happened to me:

FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell
JUST ONE YEAR by Gayle Forman
JELLICOE ROAD by Melina Marchetta 
ACROSS THE STAR-SWEPT SEA by Diana Peterfreund 
WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE by Trish Doller 
BITTERBLUE by Kristin Cashore

Now, I know some of these books technically haven't come out yet or just came out, but I've had access to a copy of each of these books for a while now (ARCs are a boon to be praised). And yet, no matter how excited I am, I still haven't gotten to the second half of this list. I'm honestly pretty sure it's because I've over-hyped myself. I'm just too excited and can't make myself sit down and read the book in question. Alternatively, I might also be afraid the next book in the series or by that author won't live up to how awesome I've assumed this new book is going to be. (As kind of happened to me with the later Harry Potter books.)

Basically, I'm a mess.

Now, sometimes I'll get my butt in gear and read the freaking thing, but other times I'll keep holding off (as is evident by the fact that I've only read half of that list above). It's just a matter of sitting down, taking a deep breath, quell the excitement/fear and read what I know is going to make me swoon/melt/gasp/squee/cry/whatever. Because, inevitably, it's the books I, myself, over-hype that end up being the ones that do just that.

Anyway, I think this post solidifies my insanity. It's okay if you don't understand, but if you do, please commiserate in the comments below. 

10 comments:

  1. YES THIS. I'm like this with Robin McKinley and Brandon Sanderson. Shadows and Steelheart came out last week, and despite how I was practically DYING to read them ... I haven't yet. I'M SCARED.

    What if they aren't as good as I thought? How can I possibly post a negative review of my favorite author? Augh now I have anxiety just thinking about it. I'm a mess with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely feel this way with sequels. It's so hard to live up to the first book, and it stresses me out. Plus if there is some romance going on, the sequel always brings trouble in paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this when it comes to reading sequels. When I loved the first book so much, I'm just afraid that the second one is going to be disappointing.

    I also have this at the moment with some books. I ADORE Juliet Marillier and I have her new book on my shelves, but I just haven't made any time to read it - and I know I'm going to love it. Every time another book comes between us, so perhaps I need to pick it up soon.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand! I am usually so wary of reading books that everyone recommends but usually, the books are recommended for a reason! You need to force yourself to read this books because trust me, they are probably worth it. I've read Bitterblue & Fangirl (if you haven't read those yet) and I loved them so get to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having this problem right now!! I have over seriesed myself and now I have readers block! I can usually cure this by picking up a non series book, getting threw that one first and moving on. But I can't decide which book I want to read! I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At the moment, hype makes me want to read certain books and I find myself disappointed afterward. I got excited because everyone else said something was amazing, and I do mean everyone. Anyway, Melina Marchetta is great, and while I've never read Jellicoe Road, I do adore Looking For Alibrandi. Read it and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always on the fence with hyped-up books. There have been some (*cough*Jellicoe Road*cough*) that I really was just okay with, but didn't love, and there have been others (*cough*Shine*cough*) that I absolutely hated. I think reading is so subjective and I have to remind myself to really think about whether or not the book looks good to ME regardless of what everyone else says. There has been the odd book that looks amazing that I really want to read, but I still hold back for a while to see if that's the hype talking, or if I actually really want to read it. If I actually want to read it THEN I'll get a copy.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're not the only one! I'm putting off City of Bones (I know, I know..) just because I'm scared that I won't like it. I already read Clockwork Angel and it was a 'mehhhh' book for me, unfortunately. You should DEFINITELY read Across the Universe! PLEASE!!! It's AMAAAAZZZIINGGGG.

    -leigh

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do this too. I was so afraid I wasn't going to like Fangirl because I hyped it up so much in my own mind. I was relieved when I loved it. Sometimes I am disappointed, though, and that's no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely understand- its that combination of pure excitement v's fear that the sequel has the abilty to somehow undue the enjoyment of the first book.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!